Main Street Preservation Grants with Marian Moskowitz
Podcast published: May 7, 2020
The Chester Countys Commissioners set up a $5M fund to establish the Main Street Preservation program. This program allows for grants of up to $25,000 for the county’s small businesses and agriculture enterprises impacted by COVID-19. Here to talk about it with us today is Marian Moskowitz, a recently elected Chester County Commissioner, Chair of the Board of Commissioners, and Chair of the Economic Development Council.
- Main Street Preservation Grant Program
- About Marian Moskowitz
- Chester County website
- Chester County business information
- Getting Economic Assistance with Michael Grigalonis
Main Street Preservation Grant
- The Board of Commissioners decided to take CARES money and put $5M towards the grant program.
- It’s designed to help small businesses with revenue of $500,000 or less.
- Grant is up to $25,000
- Award money is based on location, expenses, amounts of assistance received already, and other factors
- The County wants to help existing businesses stay open and in business, so that those businesses are ready to go as the county starts to open up.
Apply: May 11th, 5am-9pm. Apply for the Main Street Preservation grant here.
What kind information do businesses need to apply?
- 2019 income statement, provide expenses and income details.
- If you’re seasonal, they’ll look at the 2nd quarter of last year.
- Businesses started in 2020 do not qualify.
What has the county been doing since COVID-19 hit the USA (a brief timeline)?
- The Chester County Health Dept. began monitoring the COVID-19 situation in February.
- Once news came in, the County leadership came up with a plan, which was ready by March 13th.
- The County held its first COVID-19 town hall on Mar 17th
- The team at the County has worked hard to keep the local business community informed
- March 19th – took over the management of health needs of Delaware Co too.
- Last week, the County started a Business Task Force.
- Designed to get input for reopening / repairing / restoring community
- Core team
- Chambers of Commerce, tourism groups, EDC
- Advisory Team
- Different industries
- Restaurants, gyms, agricultural, etc.
- Always good to have a think tank
Is there a message that the county would like to share with local businesses?
- In terms of preparation or sustainability, businesses should start thinking about the hard questions.
- What does an employer do when an employee is afraid to come back to work?
- One big thing is communication: Have real dialog with your staff because you’re all in this together.
- Reach out and see how they’re doing.
- They are the key to getting you back in business again.